- Critically evaluate the purpose and role of accounting information systems in today’s business environment (ULO 1),
- Evaluate systems development methodologies and the role of accountants in system development projects (ULO 3), and
- Appraise the risks inherent in computer-based systems/ERP, including the role of ethics and the various internal control processes that need to be in place (ULO 4)
You are required to prepare a report to evaluate and recommend an ERP software for a listed company of your choice (your firm’s client).1 The report should include the following components:
- Background of the Selected Business
• Describe your client’s business and its business activities.
• Discuss the key business processes for your client.
• Based on our discussion in Interactive Tutorial 4 to 6, evaluate the business process of your clients to identify potential weak internal controls and the risk associated with these potential weak controls.
• Recommend the control techniques that will reduce or eliminate these potential risks.
- Systems Requirements
• Outline the software features and functionalities that your client should consider supporting its business activities.
- Software Selection
• Discuss the history of ERP, particularly the history of ERP in the modern manufacturing world.
• We have discussed the general functionalities and key elements of ERP systems in Week 9 and 10 (Chapter 11: Enterprise Resource Planning System). Compare and contrast the features and functionalities of three ERP software packages offered by the ERP vendors.
• And finally, identify the most suitable vendor and ERP software package for your client and explain why it is the best option.
The report should include the following components.
- Holmes Institute Assignment Cover Sheet
- Executive Summary
The Executive summary should be concise and not involve too much detail. It should make commentary on the main points only and follow the sequence of the report. Write the Executive Summary after the report is completed, and once you have an overview of the whole text.
1 The selected company should be a manufacturing firm listed on either The Australian Stock Exchange or the Stock Exchange of your home country. The chosen company is your firm’s client. See the requirements of your client in the Background Section, above.
HI5019 T2 2020 – Assessment 2: Group Assignment 3
- Contents Page
This needs to show a logical listing of all the sub-headings of the report’s contents. Note this is excluded from the total word count.
Typically, the introduction is a short paragraph that includes background, scope, and the main points raised in the order of importance. There should be a brief conclusion statement at the end of the introduction.
- Main Body Paragraphs with Numbered Sub-headings
This section contains detailed information that elaborates on the main points raised in the introduction. Each paragraph should begin with an exact topic sentence, then supporting sentences with facts and evidence obtained from research and finish with a concluding sentence at the end.
This section contains a logical and coherent evaluation based on a thorough and objective assessment of the research performed.
This section includes any additional explanatory information which is supplementary and/or graphical to help communicate the main ideas made in the report. Refer to the appendices in the main body paragraphs, as and where appropriate. (Note this is excluded from the total word count.)