This assessment covers all the learning outcomes for this module and the standard University assessment criteria for this level apply. (Standard University Level 7 Criteria)
SAT NAV’s (Satellite Navigation Systems) became one of the bestselling products during the late 90’s and early 2000, competition from competitor products and changes in consumer preference, meant that the products require updating in order to maintain consistent growth in a largely replacement-driven market.
You are required to re-design the major parts of the SAT NAV casings for the main components following as closely as possible the original using your own external measurements. You are also required to simulate the PROTOTYPE manufacturing for a sat navigation product, based around a brand of your choice. The size of the SAT NAV should be no bigger than those currently on the market, likewise with the cradle. The design is left to you, but it should take into account the need for an aesthetically pleasing form that is ergonomically designed.
The parts to be modelled are thus: SAT NAV UNIT (Front Cover, Rear Cover, button pads, screen ), CRADLE (Windscreen suction type), and USB to serial power cable.
Your own assumptions are to be made as to how the components are to be assembled together. The modelling of each component must include the following details: The styling shape and cut outs must be included for all components.
Apply suitable draft angles to the external side surfaces of these covers assuming that the front of the cover is deepest face in a mould. A Minimum Wall thickness of 2~3mm is to be applied.
Scale ONE of the SAT NAV components models to suit the FDM RP machine. Using Ideas Produce a Triangle (.STL) file from this CAD model. Use a suitable tolerance to suit FDM. Read the Triangle (.STL file) into the Insight Cad package and obtain a build time.’
Your report must consist of [MAX 4000 words]:
PART A (60% weighting)
- Multi-Views of the Solid model of all components as if assembled together in one view and individual parts, (Screen shots or JPEG, Adobe PDF)
Using SIEMANS NX UGS Produce a Rapid Prototyping file (.STL) of the CAD model, import this into Insight Software obtain a build time and screen shots.
- A Bill of Materials report from SIEMANS NX UGS of the entire assembly (in the default format). Note: to do this you will have to add the individual NX parts to an NX assembly in assembly mode.
- A 2-D Engineering drawing of ONE of the casing cover components with appropriate dimensions to enable manufacture.
PART B (40% weighting)
- Report on the method of 3D modelling within CAD & RP Insight Software to obtain a build time & Triangle file (.STL). Outline any functions and features or design innovation that shows the benefits and improvements to the product. Discuss how the solid model was created, indicating any difficulties and their solutions, comment on the build time. You are required to briefly explain your design features in terms of both concept (design methodology) and design for manufacture / assembly considerations. (Reflection of learning). Document any manufacturing considerations made within the design i.e. Style Line, Draft, Radii etc Briefly explain the benefits a Parts list or Bill of Materials to Design & Manufacturing processes/ departments of an engineering company. (2000 Words)
- Discuss and evaluate the alternative Rapid Prototyping Methods to FDM, taking into consideration material properties, and application use, to enable product evaluation/testing. How would you use the different processes to move from design to full production?
How might it be made? Is it feasible to make it? How much do you think it would cost in both investments required by the business and manufacturing costs?
This assessment is to be individual work, to be submitted by Week 11 Friday 10th December 2021). The word report is to be uploaded to blackboard e-learning. An electronic copy of the report together with the electronic CAD/RP files completed in this module should be included. Do not delete any work associated with this module from your computer account since I may need to access it.